Gun Massacres Surged Dramatically Following Expiration of the Federal Ban
We do know that we can take steps to prevent this violence from occurring in Rhode Island.
37% decrease in incidents and 42% decrease in deaths
After Ban Expires (2004-2014)
183% increase in incidents and 239% increase in deaths
Connecticut Lowers Gun Violence with Tougher Gun Control
These new laws have resulted in the fastest drop in violent crime of any state over the last four years.
Connecticut is now one of the states with the strictest gun safety laws and has one of the lowest rates of gun deaths.
Conversely, states with the most lax laws, including Alabama, Alaska and Louisiana, have the highest rates of gun deaths.
R.I. lags behind our neighbors as well as other like-minded states in banning assault weapons. As of February 2018, the following states ban assault weapons:
- New York
- New Jersey
Which Community is Next?
- 17 killed, 14+ injured at a high school in Parkland, FL on February 14, 2018
- 4 killed, 1 injured at a car wash in Melcroft, PA on January 28, 2018
- 5 killed, 10 injured at an elementary school and other locations in Rancho Tehama, CA on November 14, 2017
- 26 killed, 20 injured at a church in Sutherland Springs, TX on November 5, 2017
- 58 people killed, 546 injured at concert in Las Vegas, NV on October 1, 2017
- 8 killed, 1 injured at a home in Plano, TX on September 10, 2017
- 5 killed, 11 injured at a peaceful protest in Dallas, TX on July 7, 2016
- 49 killed, 53 injured at a nightclub in Orlando, FL on July 12, 2016
- 3 killed, 14 injured at a manufacturing company in Hesston, KS on February 25, 2016
- 14 killed, 21 injured at a holiday party in San Bernardino, CA on December 2, 2015
- 3 killed, 9 injured at a Planned Parenthood health clinic in Colorado Springs, CO on November 27, 2015
- 3 killed in downtown Colorado Springs, CO on October 31, 2015
- 5 killed, 2 injured at a Naval reserve center in Chattanooga, TN on September 16, 2015
An American Epidemic
It is NOT mental health, video games, or racial diversity that makes the difference in the incredibly high rate of gun violence in America versus the rest of the world. The factor that has created this American epidemic of violence is the sheer number of guns.
Well over 400 Rhode Islanders gathered to hear from RI high school and college students at the RI State House.
Hundreds of gun safety reform supporters showed up to demand votes for five common-sense bills.
360 killed and over 705 wounded in incidents that often times lasted minutes.
Mass shootings by people with serious mental illness represent less than 1% of all yearly gun-related homicides.
Blaming mental health is a convenient diversion for NRA and other corporate lobbyists.
This latest massacre is more evidence of the massive failure to protect our children and our communities.
Board Member Diana Garlington spoke for RICAGV at the press conference on Monday.
Buffalo makes third mass shooting over the weekend.
Rep. Caldwell is the sponsor of three important gun safety bills.
Large capacity magazines turn kllers into killing machines.
We really need you tonight! Sign-in, submit written testimony or testify in person for common-sense gun safety.
Students across RI have been diligently advocating for sensible gun safety reform since the Parkland shooting.
Another massacre with an AR-15 at a synogogue in Pittsburgh.
“Sawyer stated it may not be next week, next month, or even next year, but eventually he will carry out his plan,” said Det. Sgt. Todd Wilkins, of the VT State Police.
The most up-to-date report shows a disturbing upward trend in the number of incidents, deaths and injuries.
The high-powered AR-15 allowed the shooter to kill students that were in locked classrooms.
Please note, donations made online through our website are not tax deductible.